Here’s The Ugly Truth About PPC Advertising for Pool Builders…
A few months ago, I tried to describe what I saw happening with PPC advertising (Google ads) and the swimming pool industry. And now I’ve come up with a visual that I think is the perfect analogy to explain it.
Tell me if this makes sense to you…
If we go back 10 years ago, very few pool builders were doing any PPC advertising.
“Search Engine Optimization” was the most powerful tool for generating leads. Few people would click the PPC ads, and thus very few pool builders would advertise there.
For the rare pool builder who was doing PPC advertising 10 years ago, it was like having the hot tub all to yourself.
Fast-forward to roughly 4 to 8 years ago, and things started to change a little…
Now a few more pool builders started “testing the waters” of PPC advertising. Now you’d see 3 or 4 pool builders running Google ads, where there used to be just one.
It wasn’t overly crowded, but it was different from the “early adopter” stage of 10 years ago. It worked -quite well, in fact – but you probably weren’t alone anymore.
Fast-forward to a year or so ago, and suddenly EVERYONE wanted in on the action…
Now it’s so crowded that it’s taking all the fun out of it. (And what used to be satisfying results.)
In fact, now businesses are basically lining up outside the hot tub, waving their fistfuls of money, trying to outbid someone else so they can take their place in the over-crowded hot tub.
Oh, for the good old days….
If you’re counting on PPC advertising to take you to the next level in 2020 and beyond, then be forewarned:
It’s now more important than ever to use an EXPERT.
Not just a marketing expert like me, but an actual PPC expert who KNOWS what they’re doing, and knows how to adjust campaigns QUICKLY and EFFECTIVELY, so that your precious ad $$$ aren’t wasted.
It’s now more important to make sure EVERYTHING ELSE in your marketing system is dialed-in the way it should be.
- Your website. (It must be smooth, effective, persuasive and fast.)
- The “company story” you tell, on your website and elsewhere. (What makes you a better choice than your competition? Do you communicate that in a way that is believable and compelling?)
- The eradication of platitudes. (Don’t waste money on advertising just to bore your prospects with trite, meaningless platitudes!)
- Marketing automation. (Now more than ever, you need to “nurture” each and every lead, since they are now costing 5 to 10 times more than they used to cost. You should “drip, drip, drip” your marketing messages on them, until they buy, or until they die.)
- Salesmanship/Selling Skills. (All marketing and advertising dollars are wasted if your salespeople can’t close the deal. Get your closing ratios up. It’s a lot cheaper than throwing money at PPC.)
I’m still bullish on PPC. But in this new market, those PPC leads are PRECIOUS.
If you’re going to pay 5X to 10X more per LEAD, and 5X to 10X more per SALE, then you’ve got to treat each lead like gold, and market like the life of your business depends on it.
Of course, we happen to be experts in all of these areas (except PPC, because as I said, if you want to succeed in today’s PPC market, you need a true dedicated PPC expert. And that’s not me.)
But my team and I are experts in the areas of websites, copywriting / storytelling, marketing automation, sales training and more. So if you need help in any of those areas, please don’t hesitate to give us a call.